With its population set to exceed 100,000, a key aspect of North Somerset’s growth agenda is to regenerate Weston-super-Mare as a vibrant diverse town that attracts people to live, study and work. Some £500m has been invested to date across Weston-super-Mare, providing infrastructure and unlocking development sites. This includes NSC’s £13m investment in a regionally significant Food and Drink innovation centre, The Food WorksSW, currently under construction and due to open in 2020. Opportunities on offer include:
Town Centre and Junction 21 Enterprise Area
- Station Gateway /Locking Rd – C. 400 new homes and primary school (6 Ha)
- Dolphin Square – £35m development of further residential phases containing C. 220 high-quality sea-front homes (1 Ha)
- Walliscote Place – approximately 70 new homes on Magistrates Court and town police station (0.5 Ha)
- Weston Links – creating a natural linkage between town centre and Junction 21 Enterprise Area, 700 homes plus new school, leisure and community facilities.
Junction 21 Enterprise Area/Weston Villages–
- Parklands Village: 3,650 new homes and commercial premises for up to 5,000 jobs (10 Ha)
- Weston Business Quarter: employment designated land controlled by NSC ideally suited for light industrial and small scale 12,100 m2 (30,000 sq. ft.) office schemes (3 Ha)
- Food Enterprise Zone: – commercial land designated for Food and Drink research and production facilities including £13m The Food WorksSW research and innovation centre (5 Ha).
Development details including intended use, scope of development, key features etc
Residential-led schemes that integrate new proposals into the fabric and structure of the town centre including: open market housing across a range of sizes and tenures including student housing to compliment the growth agenda of Weston College.
Commercial schemes within the Enterprise Area capitalising on North Somerset sectoral strengths in manufacturing, TMT, service sector and final mile distribution.
Development status and planning status
Supplementary Planning Guidance, indicative masterplan work completed on town centre sites. Development underway on elements of Junction 21 Enterprise Area/Weston Villages.
Anticipated gross development value
Various: £15m GDV for Walliscote Place redevelopment to £1bn for Weston Villages.
Likely additional capital requirements
Initial feasibility work identifies 6.5% ground rent and commercial investment sales yields, other sites in the town are anticipated to be comparable.