North Somerset Council
The council is committed to working to increase the prosperity of North Somerset and to creating local employment opportunities with the Local Strategic Partnership - North Somerset Partnership.
The council vision and priorities to improve the economic, social and environmental well being of an area, showing how partners will work together to develop sustainable communities are set out in the North Somerset Sustainable Community Strategy.
Other publications are:
- Local plan and proposals maps - sets out how future planning will be carried out in North Somerset
- Economic Development and Regeneration Strategy - sets out the ambitions of the council and its partners
- North Somerset Life magazine - monthly residents magazine from North Somerset Council
The council supports the North Somerset Enterprise Agency which provides business support and advice to organisations and individuals across the area.
A number of major development projects are being progressed which will enhance the prosperity of North Somerset. The council also works closely with land owners and town centre businesses to deliver new growth and regeneration.
Council services relating to business include:
- - ensure building work meets legal requirements
- Business continuity management (pdf) - making sure your organisation can survive unexpected interruption to normal activities
- Business rates - payable on all occupied and some unoccupied business premises
- Concessions - available sites are advertised on the council website
- Economic Development - help businesses grow and promote North Somerset as a prosperous location for new investment
- Enquiry Centre - North Somerset Library Service provides a free enquiry service to all residents and businesses based in North Somerset. Download the business related information which the service can provide.
- Food standards - ensure food businesses work within national health and safety guidelines and prepare and serve food in the right conditions
- Health and Safety - ensure businesses meet their duties under health and safety legislation
- Land charges - search to reveal any legal restrictions or outstanding charges that might be attached to property or land
- Licences and permits - ensure services are run to acceptable and safe standards
- - help to decide what is built and developed in North Somerset
- Procurement - selling to the council
- Property and Asset Management - manage council-owned land and property (also note concessions listed above)
- Trading Standards - promote a fair, safe and equitable trading environment for both consumers and businesses
- Youth Employment Service - guiding young people through learning into employment