The dedicated Economic Development Service at North Somerset Council is focused on promoting economic growth within North Somerset by providing vital support to existing local businesses and encouraging inward investment. North Somerset Council and partners have been working on a refreshed Economic Plan for the area covering the period from 2017 to 2030.The plan aims to provide a framework to guide and influence activity, resources and investment, and ensure North Somerset is a vibrant and successful place to live, work and study. The team is well placed to support both start-up and well established businesses through its close partnership working with North Somerset Enterprise Agency, key partners and other council departments.
Why North Somerset?
A primary focus for the Economic Development team is to actively demonstrate to the business community that North Somerset:
- is perfectly placed as a business location - at the gateway to the South West and part of a dynamic West of England sub-regional economy.
- has great connectivity- with three M5 motorway junctions, Royal Portbury Docks (a deep sea port), Bristol Airport, 5 railway stations and superfast broadband being rolled out across the area.
- offers a wealth of development opportunities across the area such as Junction 21 Enterprise Area (J21EA) which has expansive areas of development land and new commercial business premises to let or buy.
- is home to over 8,000 businesses from the small to the international.
- has a strong, diverse local economy and well represented in key growth sectors: manufacturing, creative, food and drink, advanced engineering and aerospace, professional services, business support and technical.
- is able to offer businesses a highly skilled local workforce.
- boasts beautiful coast and countryside within easy reach of a thriving city region - creating the opportunity for a fantastic work-life balance.
- has North Somerset Enterprise Agency that can offer business support, advice and managed workspace.
Building business relationships
We have already established close working relationships with many businesses in North Somerset and we would like to continue to build on this so we can better understand how to support your business. We are also keen to celebrate your success and share this so that we can demonstrate to others what a great place North Somerset is to do business.
- get involved by using this website to tell us about your events, venues, news and success stories.
- use the ‘in north somerset’ brand in your own promotional materials to reinforce the message.
- Help us attract more businesses to North Somerset by explaining to others the benefits of being located in North Somerset e.g through a case study or as part of our Ambassadors programme. get in touch if you'd like get involved.
- The 'Made in North Somerset' Networking group, coordinated by the Economic Development Service consists of over 50 food, drink and craft businesses across North Somerset that meets quarterly. This business group share news, information and ideas for the annual Made in North Somerset festival every autumn.