'Shop local' campaign - get involved
How can businesses get involved?
As part of the ‘shop local in North Somerset' campaign independent traders are being asked to display the new 'shop local' window stickers. These stickers will help shoppers to identify the businesses involved in the campaign to help keep our communities and high streets alive and distinctive.
The business benefits?
- Businesses displaying a window sticker will be promoted to our participating businesses page.
- Participating businesses will also be invited to provide a more detailed profile of their business – to help people get to know them and their business a little better.
- The involvement of businesses will help to raise the profile of the overall campaign throughout North Somerset
- The window stickers will help to more easily identify independent retailers which will hopefully encourage more custom.
- Businesses, depending on interest, will be invited to participate in competitions/features with the local media.
- Further promotional ideas will be discussed in the future such as reward/loyalty cards, window displays, press features etc.
For details of businesses displaying a window sticker visit 'shop local' - participating businesses.
Winscombe traders and Federation of Small Businesses, supported by North Somerset Council, have produced a website promoting the shop local campaign. Visit www.shopwinscombe.co.uk for more information.
How can shoppers get involved?
Once the lifeblood of Britain, the corner shop, butcher, baker and chemist were a feature of every town, but today they are battling with many other independent traders to survive. Between 1997 and 2002, independent general stores were estimated to close at the rate of 1 per day, and specialist stores at the rate of 50 per week.
We hope that this campaign will help to show the amazing array of independent traders in North Somerset that are offering high quality, competitively priced, locally produced, specialist and unusual range of goods and products.
Please support your local traders by purchasing a greater percentage of your shopping locally and in turn you may be pleased to find that it has actually saved you money. Do encourage the local businesses that you already use to join the campaign and let us know of any businesses displaying stickers that are not featured in our listings page.
(© Photo source: In the Frame)