North Somerset is a great place to live, work and develop your business. The data and statistics on this page help to illustrate North Somerset’s economy and the variety of businesses that are based here.
Major employers in North Somerset
North Somerset is home to over 7,000 businesses (source: ONS 2012) from small to nationally recognised brands including Yeo Valley, Brabantia and Oxford Instruments Plasma Technology.
For more information download the major employers list which profiles companies located in North Somerset that employ 100 or more.
Local Economic Assessment (LEA) 2015
The LEA brings together a wide range of statistics and data on the North Somerset economy, in its widest sense. As a working online document, the LEA will be updated over time to incorporate new information and statistics.
West of England Local Enterprise Partnership Economic Bulletin
Each quarter the West of England LEP produces an Economic Bulletin which provides an overview of the economic health of the West of England looking at a variety of indicators, from both national and local sources. It is divided into four sections:
- Business conditions
- Employment / labour market
- Property and planning
The West of England LEP also produces a Local Economic Assessment.
Labour market profile
Download the labour market profile (NOMIS January 2016) which includes data on population, employment and unemployment, employment by occupation, qualifications and earnings for North Somerset, the South West and England and Wales.
For information about tourism and leisure please visit our Time Out in North Somerset page. For information on tourism’s economic impact on North Somerset download our:
A significant proportion of North Somerset is rural, and therefore the rural economy plays a vital role. To find out more, see our profile of North Somerset’s rural economy.
Further information within this website
Elsewhere within this website you can find out more regarding:
- Business in North Somerset map (pdf, 12MB) - showing a selection of businesses in North Somerset and Weston-super-Mare including details of sector, location and company logo
- Business locations
Information on other websites
Elsewhere you can find:
- West of England LEP: Economic intelligence.
- North Somerset Council demographic data: Census 2011 data and basic information about North Somerset at district and ward level. There is a profile for each ward which contains facts and statistics on crime, deprivation, education, employment, health, housing, population and transport.
- South West Observatory: where you can access a network of analysts and information across a broad range of demographic, environmental and economic services regionally.
- South West Skills & Learning Intelligence module: access to archives of labour market research, networs, data, news and good practice and information.
- Office for National Statistics
- NOMIS: Official labour market statistics.
- Neighbourhood Statistics:small area data and neighbourhood summaries.