Portishead has a population of around 23,700. The town has grown significantly in recent years through a mixture of residential and commercial development. Portishead is located close to Junction 19 of the M5 motorway and within 10 miles of Bristol city centre.
Portishead is situated on the Bristol Channel coast, and its former docks are now the centre of a new marina development. This comprises of modern houses and apartments, cafes, shops, and the Parish Wharf Leisure Centre. There is a public walkway round the award winning marina that has floating berths for a range of boats.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) plans to create a new purpose-built centre on the site of the former Masonic Lodge in Pier Road, Portishead. The building will house an inshore lifeboat and provide facilities for Portishead Lifeboat Trust's volunteer crew. It is hoped the new station will become operational in summer 2014. For planning details visit North Somerset Council’s website.
Portishead also provides a suitable business location offering links to the Midlands, London and the South West due to its close proximity to the M5 and M4. It is also a very short distance from Royal Portbury Dock. A number of recent office developments include Portishead Office Park, Gordano Gate and Portis Fields. Kestrel Court provides managed workspace consisting of flexible office and studio/workshop space.
Leisure facilities and attractions within close proximity
- The Lake Grounds provides picturesque surroundings and green space to either play or relax. This location is home to such activities as tennis, cricket and bowls. There is a playground for children to enjoy. For those who want to relax, there are views across the channel and refreshments are available from a local café
- The Port Marine public art programme’s trail map highlights key art work across Portishead.
- Portishead Open Air Pool, situated in the Lake Grounds, is a 33 metre heated outdoor swimming pool, which has recently benefited from a television makeover project.
- Oakham Treasures, located in nearby Portbury, is an award winning museum of retail and farming history in the UK.
- Parish Wharf Leisure Centre has a 25 metre swimming pool, and a pirate themed leisure pool with interactive water features for families to enjoy. There is also a sports hall, crèche, gym, and a range of aerobic and fitness classes.
Further information within this website:
- Business locations
- Business in North Somerset map (pdf, 12MB) - showing a selection of businesses in North Somerset and Weston-super-Mare including details of sector, location and company logo
- Education: including a full list of schools in the Portishead area.
- North Somerset - Connecting People, Inspiring Business (pdf) - details the advantages of being a business in North Somerset
- Portishead - a great place to do business: download a profile of Portishead and case studies that demonstrate why companies choose Portishead.
Further information on Portishead can also been found at:
(© Photo source: In the Frame)