The Economic Development Service
We are here to help existing local businesses grow and to promote North Somerset as a prosperous location for new investment.
We are one of a number of services that the council provides to support the business community. We work alongside our planning, licensing and highways departments to tailor our combined services to meet business needs. Further information on other council services can be found on our North Somerset Council page.
Our dedicated team can provide:
- Assistance in locating land and premises
- A Gateway to other services within North Somerset council including business rates, planning, building control, licensing and regulatory services.
- Provision of up to date information on business events and training courses
- Advice and assistance for new business start-ups
- Signposting to external business support and funding
- Economic data and statistics
- Relocation and aftercare service
- Information on opportunities from the West of England Local Enterprise Partnership
In addition to the support currently available, our service is involved in a wide range of projects across North Somerset, the West of England and the South West. The following are a selection of key work areas:
Junction 21 Enterprise Area (J21EA) (Alastair Shankland)
- Business support
- Promotions and marketing of development and business opportunities
- Inward investment
Food and drink development (Mandie Berry)
- South West Food and Drink Innovation Centre
- Virtual Centre
- Made in North Somerset
Hinkley (Rupert Owen)
- Local supply chain development
- Inward investment
- Employment opportunities
Broadband (Thys Van Tonder)
- Connecting Devon and Somerset
- Business vouchers
- Open Programmable City
Tourism (Ursula James)
- Destination Management Organisations liaison
- Filming enquiries
- Visit North Somerset promotions
Business Sector support
- Advanced manufacturing and engineering
- Food and drink manufacturing
- High tech
- Professional and business services
We also produce the following business publications:
- North Somerset - Connecting People, Inspiring Business (pdf) - details the advantages of being a business in North Somerset.
- Weston - thriving and growing (pdf) - details investments and opportunities in Weston
- Business in North Somerset map (pdf, 12MB) - showing a selection of businesses in North Somerset and Weston-super-Mare including details of sector, location and company logo
- Business Matters - a monthly e-newsletter which celebrates local business success and provides general advice and information to businesses. To subscribe sign up to our newsletter.
- Local food directory (pdf) - contains details of where you can buy locally grown, reared or produced food and drink within North Somerset
- Economic Development and Regeneration Strategy - aims to create a long-term plan for economic development and regeneration in North Somerset
- Local Economic Development Protocol (pdf) - supporting the timely delivery of development proposals that will have significant local economic benefits
- Marketing Initiatives List (pdf) - to help landowners, developers and agents with the proactive marketing and promotion of employment sites.
For copies of these publications or further information and advice on local business issues and projects please contact us.